Monday, September 29, 2008

Ouch!

That is just the beginning.

I had Custom Interlase, which is a bladless form of LASIC. It was custom because I have funky corneas and they had to smooth them out first. I also have very dry eyes, which is why I stopped wearing contacts a few years ago.

***WARNING***
For the info junkies out there- DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE. I had the procedure with my eyes open and I couldn't watch.

The procedure is best described as stressful, because of the pressure on your eye and having to hold perfectly still and focus on a light. I passed with flying colors, but the stuffed animal they gave me to hold could be missing a paw. oops!

I would definetly do all of this again, I just feel like I am walking around with dried out contacts in my eyes and I am not allowed to rub them.
But I can see.
For the first time in 29 years I can see without correction.

My new best friend is the bottle of tear drops.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I had it done in 2000, and it was great--I also had terrible vision and really dry eyes and had not worn contacts for a few years. A couple of years ago, my astigmatism started to come back and I need to be tweaked, but I haven't done it. I got glasses and they are pretty weak, but helpful when I'm driving and need to see signs.

I thought it felt a lot like when there's a lot of pollen, kind of itchy and dry, but not painful.

Where I had it done, they also gave you a valium before if you wanted it. I took it. It creeped me out too much to think about it and there's no way I would ever watch the procedure on a video. They had one in the waiting room and I was like....keep me away from that!

Ladystone said...

Congratulations! You made it through. I am so happy for you. Every day will be better and your eyes will feel more normal. I love not wearing my glasses!

High on Hairspray said...

Congrats! I love mine! Sending your WICKED surprise tomorrow! Been waayyy busy!

Darlene said...

Congratulations on making it through!!!